Tuesday, August 26, 2008

recent readings

Lately I've really been into reading and discovering more about the crisis in northern Uganda. It all started by reading the book Girl Soldier. You can read my recent facebook note if you're interested more in what my thoughts are regarding that.

My newest book is Jesus for President. I've just started reading it, but it looks like it is a real good read. I always assess the books I read and if they are really good I send them to Lou Foltz, a friend of mine at Warner Pacific College and suggest he use them in his Psychology of Religion class. We'll see if this one hits the recommendation list. It has pictures in it, but don't be scared... it's basically encouraging Christians to have a new imagination for what faith and life looks like instead of following our American culture blindly. So I'm guessing the pictures go hand in hand with the imagination of a new way of thinking. So far I'm really liking the totally new format to the book. I will have to keep you updated as I read it. This is my favorite quote thus far,
"Most of the ugliness in the human narrative comes from a distorted quest to possess beauty. Coveting begins with appreciating blessings. Murder begins with a hunger for justice. Lust beins with a recognition of beauty. Gluttony begins when our enjoyment of the delectable gifts of God starts to consume us. Idolatry begins when our seeing a reflection of God in something beautiful leadds to our thinking that the beautiful image bearer is worthy of our worship."
This short segment created for me such an image of the superficiality I can have sometimes, it was all too revealing of my sinful human nature in such a short paragraph.

No comments: